CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Update For April 12, 2008

Well here it is April 12, 2008 and we are starting to see some progress with the growing but I haven’t been able to do much work on the garden landscape as a whole. I am confident that I will be finished within the next month.

The Early Crop:

Here is the progress that I have made for my early planting. I have laid it out for you so you can see my plan on how I want to be eating fresh vegetables from late spring right into the winter months.

Plants Started From Seedlings:

Here are the plants that I have started from seedlings and an update on how they are doing. This is coming after a thunderstorm and good rain last night.

The Spinach:

The spinach plants are doing much better. They are starting to get their dark green color back. The shock of transplanting them scared me a little. Perhaps I should have let them harden more than 24 hours before transplanting them. All in all, they are doing ok.

The Romaine Lettuce:

I am still worried about these babies. Although they are about 5” high at this point, they still have a good amount of brown leaves around the base of the plants.

Plants Started From Seed:

Here are the plants started from seed sowed directly into the ground. These are hearty plants and start from seed pretty well. They are early crops and I thought I would give them a try.

The Iceberg Lettuce:

I am starting to see a start peaking out through the soil. I planted a row in the box with the romaine lettuce and a row in with the spinach box. I expect to thin each row to about 5 or 6 plants in each area.

The Snow Peas:

I see one small plant just popping up out of the soil. I expect to see lots more coming up within the next few days or sooner. These were planted in 2 rows spaced about 3” apart and the rows spaced about 4” apart.

The bed where they were planted is a strip about 4’ X 1’. I plan on hanging twine from the top of the cage so they can vine straight up. If I can get the full 6’ height out of each plant, this should yield a nice crop.

The Peas:

These are a standard pea that produces a large pea pod. I see nothing popping out of the ground as of yet but like the snow peas I expect to see results very soon. Like the snow peas they are planted on the other side of the strip and planted the same way. All in all I should have a nice pea crop with 2 varieties.

The String Beans:

I decided to plant one variety of a large bean. I don’t see anything as of yet but I expect to see results very soon. Like the peas I planted 2 rows in a strip that measures 10’ X 1’. I will do the same with the twine hanging from the top of the cage.

The next Phase:

I have seedlings started for cherry tomato’s Beef steak tomato’s, bell peppers and a whole variety of herbs. I expect when things are growing nicely, I will be putting things into the empty beds.

Tomorrow I will be giving you my thoughts on how I plan to finish the landscape work. Please come back and help me get through some of the issues I am having with placing the patio block and brick.

See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you come to my house and help me landscape:~) I want to start a garden but it is still too called hopefully that will change in the next few weeks! Keep up the good work...makes me hungury just thinking about all those fresh veggies!

Don Dousharm said...

Thanks Brandi,

If I didn't live so far away I would be there today and start digging. It's my favorite pastime.

liz said...

mmmmm...I'm 'green' with envy! Your young vegetable plants look scrumptious already!
Great early start you have there!

Don Dousharm said...

Thanks Liz,

I wish I could be in touch with nature all the time. This is my way of keeping a piece for myself.

Barbie said...

I'm going to steal your garden like a hungry rabbit, I wish I could do so well Mine just turns to weeds and I never have the time to take good care of it.
Have a great week Don keep that green thumb from getting hurt.

earthlingorgeous said...

Hi Donald,

Me again! off topic. Mother's day coming soon and I got a tag for you up there at my Happiness Haven.

have an awesome gardening! I hope to hear you make a spinach salad or something out of that yummy garden you have!